Home __Packages__Additions__OTHER Ceremonies_
Contact__Garden Photos_Photos__BLOG_

© 2023 Niagara Wedding Chapel. All rights reserved.
What you need to know

Niagara Falls Wedding Requirements -

Marriage Licence 

Licence application form for Ontario.

Marriage Certificate 

Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario

Marriage Licence 


Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario

FEE The fee for a Licence is $125.00 (CASH ONLY)

AGE Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Licence. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent (or parent with custody of minor). No person under the age of 16 years may be married.

IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED Two pieces of identification are required,(birth certificate, any change of name certificate, current passport, record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian Citizenship Card along with photo identification) for both parties. Both parties must complete and sign an Application Form. However, if both parties are not able to apply in person for the Marriage Licence, one person may apply for the Licence but must bring in the completed Application form signed by both parties along with two pieces of identification as specified above.

DIVORCE OF ANNULMENT If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in Canada, the Applicant is to file with the Issuer the original or a Court Certified Copy of their final divorce papers (Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute).

If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the Applicant should speak to an Issuer of Marriage Licences to receive additional requirements.

PERIOD DURING WHICH LICENCE IS VALID A Marriage Licence is valid anywhere in ONTARIO for a period of 3 months from the date of issuance.

Additional Information

If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge, in Canada, to dispense with consent.

A person whose previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled will require:

   * If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court-certified copy of the final decree dissolving or annulling the marriage; or

* If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the applicants must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:




  1. A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.

  2. A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted) or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.

  3. A statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage Licences.

  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. 

Where a spouse has died, proof of death of the spouse must be provided if death occurred outside Ontario.

Who may perform a marriage ceremony

A marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by:

  1. A minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act

  2. A judge or justice of the peace 

Civil Ceremony

There are no ceremonies at City Hall.

Contact Information

If you require further clarifications please contact us:

Lydia Picca

[email protected]

By Phone: (905) 356-7521 Ext: 4283

By Fax: (905)356-9083

   City of Niagara Falls

   4310 Queen Street, Box 1023

   Niagara Falls, Ontario

   Canada L2E 6X5


    call:  (800) 393-7270
   Niagara Falls Wedding Chapel on the Lane